3.22.2012

Glucose Training

Today I went to my glucose training. I was one of four people who attended. I got a glucose meter and was taught how to use it




If I wanted to bore you, that's what I would tell you. 

Here's the exciting version. 

I was sitting in my glucose class today when I realized I was the youngest by at least 10 years. Granted, there were only four of us, but as Susan said (she's almost 80), "You're just so young!" Um, duh. As if I didn't feel stupid enough for having blood sugar out of control, now a little old lady's going to lecture me about taking care of myself. THANKS. Real self-esteem boost, that one



Then Beth, the trainer, showed us the "lancer." I nearly fainted...it's 6 tiny needles that you prick your skin with and then squeeze out blood to check your blood sugar. If you know me at all, you know that the reason I didn't become a veterinarian is because I don't do well with blood. Granted, it was just a tiny bit of blood. But it was freaking gross. 

I suddenly was dizzy, just looking at the lancer. I was starting to shake and my hands were cold and clammy. I cocked the lancer as instructed and closed my eyes...and pushed the wrong button. Nothing happened. I opened my eyes long enough to realize I had pushed the wrong button. So then, I squeezed them tight, said one last desperate prayer, and pushed the button. NO PAIN. I felt...nothing. I squeezed my finger as shown and out came quite a bit of blood. Feeling still very shaky and queasy, I handed the meter to Trygve and asked him to touch the blood-catcher thingy to it before I passed out. I said this quite quietly but my face was pale. I saw Beth looking at me with concern. It absorbed very quickly and suddenly it was flashing a big 141. I had eaten a banana on the way over so I was actually in the "safe" realm. I continued to be shaky until after we got home. 

Now THAT is the exciting version. I have four weeks of nutritional training coming up in which we'll experiment with how certain things affect our blood sugar. That might actually be fun! Except the part where I have to FREAKING STAB MYSELF IN THE FINGER. Obviously I'm still not comfortable with that one... 



At any rate, I know this will be a good thing, I'm just not sure how. God help me. 

I have Hepatitus B as well...I don't know how I got it. I apparently didn't get all of my vaccinations so that's how, I guess. I don't know where or when I was exposed to it, though. That one I'm clueless about. I had a follow-up blood test yesterday so I am anxiously awaiting the news as to whether or not I'm a chronic carrier. I hope not. My doctor crossed all of her fingers for me. She's really nice. 

Everyone always says I'm a trooper...when does this trooper get to take a break from this stuff???


2 comments:

  1. Hey Steph - my name is Katie and I have had Type 1 Diabetes for 13 years. (Hi Katie) If you ever need someone to talk to, I can relate to all the blood sugar testing, and needles, and not getting to take a break from any of it. My email is fritz.katie [at] gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I'm 25, so hopefully that is more in your age range! :)

    ReplyDelete